Marquette County Youth Football Parents and Coaches,
We made a very difficult decision to delay the 2020 season. Practice was scheduled to start on August 10th and we are pushing it back to the week of September 8th.
Our decision was based on the following factors:
- Most importantly, we will treat any possible threat to our children’s health with the utmost seriousness.
- Recent positive Covid cases in both youth baseball and hockey.
- Increase in local Covid cases in the community.
- A recommendation (not a mandate) from the Marquette County Health Department to not have a youth football season this year.
- Approximately 20% of the youth football leagues who use the USA Football format (as we do) have cancelled their season.
- As a board, we are not comfortable with the lack of coverage our Liability Insurance provides. We need to be confident we can hold a season with a safe level of risk for our kid’s health.
How will we proceed with a delayed season:
- We all need to accept the fact there is no certainty in anything right now. With this uncertainty comes the inability to answer detailed questions at this point.
- What you can be sure of is that the board is very concerned with the mental and physical health of your child, and we want to provide a season in any possible format that allows us to feel that we have policies and procedures in place to provide a safe environment to proceed.
- We are almost certain that the number of players will be down if we are able to have a season. We will deal with how to ensure all teams have a sufficient number of players when the time comes.
- Be assured that once we have final clarity you will be offered the option of a refund of your registration fee if you don’t want to participate in the final season format.
Michigan High School Athletics Association:
- We are not run by the MSHAA, but we certainly look to their decisions for guidance.
- MHSAA’s most recent statement put out last week was that they are planning for all fall sports. Make no mistake that although they are planning for all fall sports, this was not a guarantee and was not a statement to guide our decision for youth football. There will be further decisions regarding High School football’s season at the end of this month.
We ask for your understanding and trust that we will make the best decisions for our community and our youth football program we can.
MCYFB Board of Directors